Managing your career should be tackled in small daily and monthly actions. With this in mind, I will be sharing to-do items for each month. Our Notes From HR to-do’s are simple things you can do to take things up a notch.
- Start the year off on the right foot. Give mentors and your boss a handwritten Happy New Year card. Express your hopes and excitement for the new year. Give them a card even if you are not excited about the year.
- Reach out to key people in your network to provide a recommendation for you on LinkedIn. Most people are still in the giving/relaxed mode so they will be more inclined to spend a few minutes writing a recommendation for you.
- Begin updating your resume even if you aren’t looking for a new job this year. This a good time to capture accomplishments from 2016.
- Identify and submit your 2017 training requests to your boss by the end of the month.
- Identify a mentor for 2017 at work. It is always a good idea to have a mentor at work. Take them out for coffee and ask if they are willing to mentor you this calendar year.